Thursday, December 1, 2016

what am I up to / 001

There's a lot going on here lately with me and my little corner of the world, but I feel taking some time to reflect on the simple things right now is really something I need. I've been so anxious about this move and waiting to hear back about some career prospects that I've had trouble focusing on anything else. So let's worry about the positive and get in tune with the small details. I love the details anyways.

watching The Crown and Call the Midwife on Netflix, which I recently caught up on both, so definitely need to find a new show to watch. Or I might just forego it, since I need to get a jump on the holidays. Perhaps some National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation will be on deck later. It isn't the holidays without it.


listening to Keaton Henson & Lisa Hannigan's duet of How Could I Have Known and I'm obsessed. I've had a lot of Gavin James playing in my ears lately too.  

reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. I borrowed the first two books from MJ before she went to Austraila and I've been desperately trying to finish the third book so we can talk about it. We both love the Outlander series and I wanted to read the books. Being an English major, I've always had a thing for the book over the film.

planning our big move to Raleigh. There's still so much left to plan and purchase and figure out, it's hard though without some stability in the job department. Hopefully, we will have our answers sooner rather than later.

missing my sister, Caitlin, MJ, and Jessi. I probably text all 4 on a daily basis and I've been missing them all a lot lately. Caitlin lives out in Texas, Jessi in Florida, and MJ is in Australia for the next 8-10 months with her husband Zach (in fact they have a fantastic blog detailing their journey, you all should check it out!) Both my sister and Jessi are pregnant with boys, Caitlin is trying to settle into a new position in Austin, and MJ has been traveling all over, enjoying life in the best way. All of these people have been having an amazing stroke of good luck lately, and I wish sometimes we were all a little closer in distance so I could hug them each for an ungodly long amount of time.

wondering about this new position I am hoping to snatch up at work if possible, if Ashley and I will be able to get everything together we need for the move, and whether December will be the positive end to such a crazy year. Lots of thoughts about couches, decorating our apartment, getting into the Christmas spirit, when things will settle down...

playing entirely too much Candy Crush and Gardenscapes (a game similar to Candy Crush). It's my absent thinking, keep my hands busy and my brain engaged, kind of app to use, and I admit, I am all about it sometimes. I'm working on pulling away from my phone more.

cooking not nearly enough! With us living with Ashley's mom for now, and both of us getting home from work around 7, it's hard to get home and cook and still get in bed in time to get enough sleep before our super early alarms. Ashley's mom tends to cook a lot, which makes me extremely grateful, but I'm a little overly excited to get back to cooking dinner in our new apartment. Plus, our new kitchen is really pretty.

loving this weather recently. It hasn't rained in Georgia in over a month so the past two days have been filled with grey skies and raindrops falling down the windows of my office, and I absolutely adore it. Also, just loving the feeling of so much that is wonderful right around the corner, and it's a bit intoxicating to think about what all can be. I'm also really loving that I get to decorate our apartment soon too. Hands down one of my favorite parts of moving.

not trying to stress myself out more over the uncertainty in my life right now. It's hard, I enjoy being in control and at least having some idea as to what is coming next, but this move is hard to predict because I'm still waiting to hear back about a job. I'm also not decorating for the holidays yet, because we are about to move, and it kind of dampens my holiday spirit. 

drinking a lot of water. Usually around this time of year, I tend to celebrate everything with a craft brew or a glass of cab sav, but in an effort to save money, I've been trying to not get too festive and instead ramp up my water intake. Ashley got us some Nalgene water bottles last year with an Amazon giftcard her boss gave her, and we both use them religiously. With each bottle being 32oz and has a wide mouth, it's easy to fill up, easy to track how much you're actually drinking, and it's easy to use. I probably fill mine up about 3 or 4 times a day, and I hate going anywhere without it, so it's absolutely an investment. I used to have a Camelbak water bottle that was double-insulated and had a spout, but that mouthpiece is very much prone to mold, and it's really difficult to clean, so as much I loved carrying it around campus last year, I'm in love with my Nalgene.

crying over Living Rosa on YouTube. I've been following them for a while, Tara and Mandi are a married couple from Long Island that have a daughter, Lennon, and are currently trying for another. They started their channel to document their journey to motherhood, and they are both so refreshingly honest and wonderful people. If I lived in the NY area, I would want to be their friends for sure. It's just so wonderful to see a lesbian couple in the world happily married, happily parenting, and happy in living their lives. They definitely give me hope for when Ashley and I pursue that route (not any time soon guys) and I'm an emotional person who enjoys seeing people happy. 

wearing entirely too many cardigans. It's my thing in fall and winter, I simply take my summer and spring wardrobe, slap a cardigan, a scarf, and some fun tights on underneath it, and I'm out the door. Also, my boots that I need to repair yet again. I wear them that much.  

obsessing over a lot of things right now, including: Gavin James' music, home decor ideas for our new place, looking forward to more adult purchases like couches and curtains, trying to revamp my wardrobe to reflect the fact that I am 28 and not 21 anymore, onion bagels and caramel macchiatos from Einstein's Bagels, the Jones Market new holiday line of necklaces (I need like five right now), Holl & Lane magazine (please check out this amazing publication here), finding the right journal to start bullet journaling in, and looking at pictures of my wedding dress my mom so graciously bought for me this past month...y'all, it is so gorgeous.

working really, really, really hard on trying to get a job in North Carolina. It's really tough. Also, my budget. When you've worked for years and years in the restaurant industry, it's hard to transition from getting money every day of work to only twice a month (but at least my paychecks mean I have insurance and stability and it's usually much more than what I was making in restaurants.) But I've been working at it and lo and behold... it's working. Things are slowly but steadily working towards being healthy financially. Let's hope this position I'm eyeing works out and then I will really get to move towards a healthy financial future!

writing more and more on the blog as best as I can. I've really been wanting to submit some of my writing to Holl & Lane or try to work on putting together something. It's hard to find time to write lately, but my goal in 2017 is to make the time I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Hello Manhattan